"'Looking down upon the meadow from the east was a noble peak, whose head and
projecting arete cliffs had, in the descending sun, all the repose of the
front of a couchant lion. It was named the Lion Rock. The
Kaweah comes from the north of this peak, and its source
was found in one small and one larger lake. ... These were named the Kaweah
Lakes.' (William R. Dudley in SCB 2, no. 3, Jan. 1898: 186.) The naming
took place in July 1896. Dudley's name for the lakes did not get onto the maps.
The larger lake is 'Lion Lake;' the smaller is unnamed. Both the 'Lion' names
are on the first edition of the Tehipite
30' map, 1905."
- Peter Browning, Place Names of the Sierra Nevada