|Story||Photos / Slideshow||Map||Profile|
Emerald Point previously climbed Sun, Dec 19, 1999|
Rubicon Peak (9,183 ft.)
Named by McKinney in 1876
The trail runs from behind McKinney's to Georgetown. The Washoe Indians traveled this route over the Sierra to the western foothills to gather acorns and hunt deer. Rubicon Springs was a camping place where they drank from the springs for medicinal purposes.
'Rubicon Point' was on the von Leicht-Hoffmann map of 1874. The name 'Rubicon,' for the river, appeared on the Hoffmann map of 1873. 'Rubicon Creek' was on the Wheeler map of 1878. 'Rubicon Peak' was first named on the Wheeler map of 1881.
Rubicon soda water from Rubicon Springs was bottled and carried out by the Hucksucker brothers. The Tahoe Tattler on September 2, 1881 advertised: 'Rubicon soda water better than whiskey. Call for a drink.'
A post office was established at Rubicon (on Rubicon Bay) on May 4, 1901. (Salley, 190.) James referred to Rubicon Bay as 'Grecian Bay.' 'There is one especially color-blessed spot. It is in Grecian Bay, between Rubicon Point and Emerald. Here the shore formation is wild and irregular, with deep holes, majestic, grand and rugged rocks and some trees and shrubbery.... These objects and conditions all combine to produce a mystic revelation of color gradations and harmonies, from emerald green and jade to the deepest amythestine or ultra-marine.... The eyes are dazzled with iridescences and living color-changes ... as exquisite, glorious and dazzling as revealed in the most perfect peacock's tail-feathers, or hummingbird's throat.... The blue alone is enough to impress it forever upon the observant mind.' (James, Lake, 4-5.)
The D. L. Bliss State Park, established in 1932, includes Rubicon Point and
Emerald Bay. (Strong, 86.)"
- Barbara Lekisch, Tahoe Place Names
For more information see these SummitPost pages: Rubicon Peak - Jakes Peak - Emerald Point
This page last updated: Sat Apr 7 17:02:15 2007
For corrections or comments, please send feedback to: email@example.com