Two Teats
San Joaquin Mountain P1K SPS / WSC

Mon, Jul 15, 2002

With: Ron Burd
Kathy Dagg

Etymology
Two Teats
San Joaquin Mountain
Story Photos / Slideshow Map Profile

San Joaquin Mountain (11,600 ft.)

Named by USGS in 1898

Also River, Valley, County, Bridge

"Gabriel Moraga named the river in 1805 or 1806 for San Joaquin (Saint Joachim), the father of the Virgin Mary. (Arch. MSB, vol. 4, Munoz, Sept. 24, 1806.) The name spread up the river into the mountains, where it became North, Middle, and South forks. The mountain probably was named by the USGS during the 1898-99 survey for the Mt. Lyell 30' map, simply because it was a convenient name to borrow for a triangulation point. It is on the first edition, 1901."
- Peter Browning, Place Names of the Sierra Nevada

"Crespi saw the river on Mar. 30, 1772, when he and Fages were attempting to reach Point Reyes, and he named it San Francisco for St. Francis of Assisi. Gabriel Moraga gave the name San Joaquin to the river when he reached its southern part in 1805-6, according to Padre Munoz's diary. Before and after Moraga's visit, various sections of the river had different names. However, in the records after 1810, San Joaquin is mentioned as if it were a well-known name. The name appears for the upper course of the river on Estudillo's map of 1819, and three main channels of the lower course are shown with this name on the Plano topografico de la Mision de San Jose (about 1824). The accounts of Kotzebue, Beechey, and Wilkes allow no doubt about the river's identity. On Narvaez's Plano of 1830, to be sure, the San Joaquin Valley is shown covered by an enormous swamp, Cienegas o Tulares. The maps of Wilkes (1841) and Fremnt-Preuss (1845) definitely identify the name with the major part of the river. The former has San Joachim, but Fremont uses the Spanish version. The county is one of the original twenty-seven, created and named on Feb. 18, 1850. A San Joachin City existed in 1850 (San Francisco Alta California, Feb. 7, 1850), but it soon vanished. The name San Joaquin Valley seems to have come into general use at the time of the Pacific Railroad Survey, 1853-54. The bridge across the river was built by the Central Pacific in 1869, and the station was named San Joaquin Bridge (Mary Seamonds)."
- Erwin G. Gudde, California Place Names


References to can also be found in these files:

  • More of Bob's Trip Reports

    For more information see these SummitPost pages: San Joaquin Mountain

    This page last updated: Sat Apr 7 17:02:15 2007
    For corrections or comments, please send feedback to: snwbord@hotmail.com