The Sphinx (9,143 ft.)
Named by John Muir in 1891
Also Creek, Lakes, Crest
"John Muir named The Sphinx in 1891. (Map in
Century Magazine 43, no. 1, Nov. 1891.) It was called 'The
Watch Tower' by Hutchings in 1875.
(Inyo Independent, Oct. 23, 1875.) J. N.
LeConte had 'The Sphinx' on his 1893 map.
The creek and lakes were named on the first
Tehipite 30' map, 1905. The
crest was first named on the 15-minute quad."
- Peter Browning, Place Names of the Sierra Nevada
More of Bob's Trip Reports
For more information see these SummitPost pages: The Sphinx
This page last updated: Sat Apr 7 17:02:15 2007
For corrections or comments, please send feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org